We haven't done our groceries shopping for weeks now, I am running out of stuff to cook, so today I decided to make some kheema. My DS loves mopping up the curry with nan bread, but we've eaten lots of 'yeasty' based food lately, so I thought I'd make some puris instead.

Both recipes are from my Classic 1000 recipes -my indian food bible :)

Puri (makes 8)

2C plain flour
salt
water

mix all the ingredients,knead until not sticky. Divide the dough into 8 small balls. Then roll each ball into thin circles.Fry in hot oil, one at a time.I like to let the dough rest for a bit before I roll the puri. 1/2 hr should sufficed. I found that it is much easier to roll the dough if I let it rest for a bit. It is best eaten straight away


Potato kheema matar (serves 4)

A)
2T oil

B)
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
1/2 inch ginger
1 green chilli (more if you want yours spicy)

C)
1/2t turmeric
1t ground coriander
1t ground cumin
1t garam masala
900g mince (lamb/beef)
3 potatoes -diced
salt
1 tomato-diced
225g peas
2T fresh coriander




The original recipe says ingredients B should be finely chopped, but the lazy me just dry processed everything in my food processor :)

Heat the oil, fry ingredients B till all is browned

Add ingredients C, fry for 1 min.

Add meat, salt & tomato

Cover and simmer for 20mins

Add water if necessary

Stir in peas & coriander, simmer for 5 mins

Serve

I didn't put the peas because my DH and kids didn't like it. Today I added some grated courgette because I have some left over in the fridge that needs to be used up, so you could add other veges if you like, just experiment and see what will work










Bookmark and Share



This entry was posted on 4:12 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: